Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Fear of the Unknown


I See Cliffs.
By: the iHope Poet

Cliffs. They’re risky, and brutally honest with my line of vision. When I stand on the edge, the tip-top, slippery edge, all I can see is the fall ahead of me; the fall that could happen, but almost doesn’t seem likely – not until I actually lose my footing. And all I can think is, “My life could end right now.”  Though this idea is nearly suicidal, it’s practically settling as I face the narrow fact, looking down upon the steep reality of my situation.
But even aside from their stomach-lurching height, or the tricky games they play on my eyes and mind, perhaps the worst aspect of cliffs are how frequently they are depicted in all aspects of life.  I can often find myself leaping off cliffs that life casually carves out of day-to-day circumstances. Risks are taken; heights are either feared or jumped. Bones are broken as challenges are faced, and then limits are reached, sometimes even exceeded.
Because cliffs are so similar to many of life's experiences, I feel almost hesitant to acknowledge my anxiety, or else I’d be claiming to dread life itself. Can you imagine what people would think of such a suggestion?
So I’ll bite my tongue, because if there’s anything I do know, it’s that I love life. Therefore, I must somehow unknowingly love the mind-blowing, breath-taking and serene reality of a cliff, even when staring down from the peak of its danger. . .

"Alicia Who See's Mice"  ~ Sandra Cisneros
via

1 comment: